Data by itself often needs visual perimeters to be understood. Information design is the practice of presenting information to users in a way that’s structured, accessible, graphical, and clearly understood by the viewer.
During winter months space heaters are frequently used to add extra warmth to cool days. But did you know space heaters are blamed for the 50% of home heating fires between the months of December, January, and February? Did you know that 33% of American households think they have 6 minutes before a house fire becomes life-threatening, when it’s actually 3 minutes?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) provides the following statistics on space heaters:
• 32% of home heating fires are caused by space heaters
• 24% of home heating fire deaths were due to space heaters placed too close to items like upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding
• $559 million in direct property damage
Tips to Observe
• Keep space heaters on level, nonflammable surface
• Keep space heater 3 feet from anything that can burn
• Don’t leave it running when you leave or go to bed
• Don’t use extension cords, plug space heaters directly into an outlet
Follow these tips and be safe when using a space heater.